Asked by: Chris Harvey
You’ll want to select a simple audition song (or two) that shows you off. Many choral groups will specify acceptable genres, but you can never go wrong with a short art song or classic musical theater piece. Suggested composers include Brahms, Faure, Quilter, and Rodgers, and Hammerstein.
How do you choose a song for a choir audition?
Choosing a song for a musical audition
- Make sure you like the song and enjoy performing it.
- Find music for your song.
- Find music that is age appropriate. …
- Do not make it too long: 32 bars is good for a song.
- It is usually not a good idea to bring props for your song.
What is the best way to choose a song for an audition?
Some ideas on choosing the perfect audition song:
- Go through the list of songs you sing or listen on Spotify or Youtube for song ideas.
- Find a song that suits your vocal style and range.
- Ask yourself is it a song that showcases your voice.
- Is the song suitable for the genre or the role you are auditioning for.
What songs should I sing for an audition?
Good Pop Audition Songs
- Teenage Dream by Katy Perry.
- Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran.
- Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus.
- 24K Magic by Bruno Mars.
- Hometown Glory by Adele.
- If I Ain’t Got You by Alicia Keys.
- Redbone by Childish Gambino.
- Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson.
What songs should you not sing at an audition?
10 Songs NOT to audition with
- #1: ‘Tomorrow’ from Annie. …
- #2: ‘Where Is Love? …
- #3: ‘On My Own’ from Les Miserables. …
- #4: ‘I Dreamed A Dream’ from Les Miserables. …
- #5: ‘Bring Him Home’ from Les Miserables. …
- #6: ‘Somewhere Over The Rainbow’ from The Wizard Of Oz. …
- #7: Pretty much anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
How many minutes is 16 bars of music?
A 16-bar cut should be around 30–45 seconds (one minute is maximum) and a 32-bar cut should be around 1:15–1:30 (two minutes is maximum). The most important thing is that the cut feel right and make good musical sense.
What does 32 bars of music look like?
So when you read something like a 16 bar cut or a 32 bar cut they literally mean that they want you to sing 16 bars of sheet music so 16 of those you just go out in the sheet music.
How do you impress the judges in a singing audition?
Impress the Judges
Smile and look confident. Make good eye contact with the people inside the audition hall and with the judges. Do not close your eyes when you sing. You can, of course, close your eyes briefly, but not for too long.
What do judges look for in singing auditions?
What do judges look for in auditions? The key things judges look and listen for are pitch, tone, accuracy of timing, how well you know your instrument, stage presence, and overall performance. It is the little details that make the audition great overall.
How do you nail a choir audition?
To make sure somebody's listening or sing louder for something that's really important. It's important though that you know what you're singing about so that it makes sense the dynamics.
How do you introduce yourself in a singing audition?
How to introduce yourself in a singing audition? The opportunity for an intro may be very brief if the auditions are busy – just letting everyone know your act’s name and song title. Or you might need to give a mini-bio and talk about any significant meaning the song might have.
What should you do the night before a singing audition?
How to Prepare for a Vocal Performance
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep.
- Get Hydrated and Stay Hydrated.
- Watch What You Eat and Drink.
- Protect and Pamper Your Voice.
- Warm Up Well.
- Prep One Hour Before Your Session.
How do you prepare your voice before an audition?
Check a phrase or two of your song. Everyone should know what are a couple of phrases of music that let you know when you're ready something that is maybe a six or a seven on a scale of difficulty.
What clears your throat for singing?
Run through some light high-to-low vocalizations to get your vocal cords vibrating and loosen the mucus. Hydrate with warm drinks or water – keeping your fluid intake up will help flush out phlegm and will stop the urge to clear your throat. Steam – inhaling steam is a great way to soothe and hydrate your vocal cords.
How do I find my natural singing voice?
Voice what does chest voice chest voice is the name that we give to that bottom part of a singer's voice notes. At the bottom part of the range are in the chest voice range so rather than.